July 10, 2020
Dear OFL Members,
The OFL is proud to be joined in partnership by American Income Life (AIL) Canada in calling for applications for the annual OFL/AIL Labour Post-Secondary Scholarships.
Two OFL members, or the children of members, will be selected from a pool of applicants to each receive a scholarship in the amount of $2,500 to support them as they enter their first year of full-time post-secondary study in September 2020. The scholarships will be awarded in honour of distinguished trade union activists who have made a significant contribution to the life and growth of the labour movement in Ontario.
Eligible candidates must:
- Be a current member, or the child of a member, of a local union affiliated to the OFL;
- Be enrolled for September 2020 to enter their first year of full-time study (leading to a diploma or certificate) at a public Ontario community college or the first year of an undergraduate program (leading to a degree) at a publicly funded Ontario university;
- Not have any prior post-secondary studies; and
- Be currently enrolled or not more than two years out of secondary school.
The criteria for selection of the scholarship winners will be based on:
- An original essay, poster, or video submission on the topic outlined in this year’s application package.
- A brief résumé outlining non-academic interests and activities, such as community or political involvement as well as goals for the future.
- Evidence of understanding the role and significance of the Canadian labour movement.
The deadline for receipt of applications is August 24, 2020. An Application Form is attached below. This year’s scholarship winners will be announced in September 2020.
The OFL is committed to social justice and equity and believes strongly that post-secondary education provides important opportunities that should not be limited by tuition fees or student debt. We hope this scholarship helps make education more affordable while we fight to make access universal. We proudly encourage women, people of colour, Indigenous peoples, LGBTQI* people, people with disabilities, and those from other equity-seeking backgrounds to apply for this scholarship.
The OFL represents more than one million unionized workers in Ontario from 50 affiliated unions and is proud to have the support of American Income Life (AIL) Canada, a 100% union company that is a leader in providing supplemental insurance benefits. For more information on AIL Canada, visit: www.AILife.com.
Please circulate this call for applications to help ensure that these scholarships are made known as widely as possible.
Ontario Federation of Labour
- Young Workers