April 1, 2019
The Ontario Federation of Labour is Canada’s largest provincial labour federation, representing approximately one million workers. The OFL is seeking several part-time campaign organizers for specific regions across Ontario to lead local mobilizing and outreach efforts for the Federation’s Power of Many Campaign.
Join a small, dynamic team of elected leaders, social justice advocates and other skilled staff at the OFL in this new, temporary and part-time seven (7) month contract – sixteen (16) hours per weekposition starting in April or May and working out of the OFL North York office and/or in the local region.
LOCAL REGION ORGANIZERS FOR IMMEDIATE HIRE: Toronto-York Region, Kitchener-Waterloo, London, Peterborough, Sault Ste. Marie and Peel Region.
Local Region Organizers for hire within the next few monthsinclude Hamilton, North Bay, Ottawa, Durham and Niagara Region.
The qualified candidate must have:
- a minimum of two (2) to three (3) years of experience in campaign planning and organizing on labour, human rights, equity or social justice initiatives, including:
- strategic planning on campaign goals, strategies and tactics;
- facilitating the implementation of campaign plans;
- coordinating logistical and strategic matters related to campaign events;
- engaging and recruiting members, allies and community members to take action;
- facilitating participant-led organizing meetings;
- conducting ongoing and post-campaign evaluation, and
- providing detailed reports.
- excellent communication skills;
- strong writing skills;
- excellent social media skills;
- strong organization skills, attention to detail, and the ability to meet deadlines;
- demonstrated volunteer management capabilities;
- enthusiasm, self-motivation and a commitment to doing great work;
- a deep commitment to social justice and an understanding of issues related to decent work, public services and equity issues.
Previous experience working in a trade union environment and/or on political or community-based campaigns will be considered an asset. The ability to communicate in other languages will also be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will:
- be the campaign lead for the OFL’s ‘Power of Many’ campaign in the local region – organizing, fighting for, and protecting good jobs, public services, equity-related issues, as well as healthy and safe workplaces and communities;
- help to develop capacity on the ground in their respective region under the direction of the Officers through the Director of Political Action and Outreach;
- be the OFL’s liaison to a network of local unions, community partners and coalitions;
- organize meetings, actions and outreach efforts in the local region;
- assist in recruiting, training and developing volunteers and activists on organizing strategies to amplify the campaign;
- collect new and regularly update contact list information from campaign actions and events to grow the list of contacts within the local region;
- organize, customize, and distribute campaign materials;
- assist with local digital campaign efforts, including social media, using texting and group chat applications, as needed;
- be available to work weekends and evening hours as needed;
- posses a valid driver’s license, have the use of a reliable vehicle, and
- other duties as required.
Contract Length: Seven (7) month contract
Hours Per Week: Sixteen (16) hours per week
Salary: $740.72 per week
Other: As per the COPE 343 Collective Agreement
To be considered for the opportunity, please send a cover letter indicating the region applying for and a detailed resume to Judy Chow email@example.com APRIL 15, 2019 4:00 p.m.Only successful applicants will be contacted.