DEADLINE TO APPLY – November 18, 2021 4:00 p.m. EST
Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL) / Prevention Link values the diversity and intersectionality of the people it hires. At the OFL / Prevention Link diversity means fostering a workplace where individuals’ differences are recognized, respected, appreciated and responded to in ways that fully develop and utilize each person’s talents, strengths, and passion to better the lives of all workers. The OFL / Prevention Link recruits, employs, and promotes, regardless of race, colour, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disabilities, age or national origin. The Ontario Federation of Labour / Prevention Link is an equal opportunity employer, applicants from equity seeking communities are encouraged to self-identify in their application.
Prevention Link has a vacancy for a Communications & Outreach Specialist (Leave) to lead Prevention Link’s communications and outreach efforts. The Communications & Outreach Specialist (Leave) is a limited term contract until March 31, 2022. Pending funding approval, this contract may be extended. The Communications & Outreach Specialist (Leave) is covered under the terms and conditions as outlined in the collective agreement with COPE 343. This position is headquartered out of the OFL Offices in North York, Ontario, working remotely as required.
As a team member of Prevention Link, the Communications & Outreach Specialist shall report through the Prevention Link Director and Executive Director to the Officers of the Ontario Federation of Labour. The primary responsibility is to co-ordinate the communications and outreach efforts of Prevention Link.
The qualified candidate will have:
- 3-5 years of communications experience, particularly in a leadership role;
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Excellent social media skills using a variety of platforms;
- Experience developing internal and external communications strategies;
- A general understanding of the principles of effective Return-to-Work and Disability Prevention strategies;
- Working knowledge of the Province of Ontario’s occupational health and safety prevention strategies and workers’ compensation system;
- The ability to be a self-starter and work independently;
- Familiarity with Action Network or similar contact resource management platforms as a communications and engagement tool;
- Familiarity, including administrative experience with learning management software, such as Canvas;
- Proficient knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign);
- Experience managing competing priorities;
- A drivers’ license and car; and
- Previous experience working in a trade union or not-for-profit environment.
*French language skills will be considered an asset, as will graphic-design skills.
The successful candidate will oversee a variety of areas related to Prevention Link’s communications efforts, including:
- Coordinating and executing Prevention Link’s member engagement strategy;
- Drafting/assisting with the production of grant applications, project reports, program literature and resources; and
- Writing, editing, and co-ordinating the design and production of all internal and external communications materials (e-blasts, flyers, newsletters, posters).
Vulnerable Workers Outreach:
- Working with Prevention Link’s community partners to ensure access to our target audience that will drive program deliverables;
- Working with affiliates and community partners to lead and execute the vulnerable worker outreach program, Prevention Link’s Lighthouse Initiative.
- Coordinating all online, print and broadcast requests and distribution;
- Maintaining Prevention Link’s brand identity (logos, fonts, style guide); and
- Managing program evaluation surveys and focus group testing for internal and external use, when applicable.
Online and social media:
- Coordinating the development, design and maintenance of Prevention Link’s website and app, project collaboration sites and online properties;
- Developing and executing online and social media strategies;
- Managing organizational social media accounts; and
- Providing social media training to officers and staff.
Photography, Video and Design Work:
- Documenting and maintaining Prevention Link photo and video records for archiving purposes;
- Co-ordinating photography, photo editing and photo sharing;
- Co-ordinating videography, video editing and video sharing;
- Co-ordinating commissioned illustration and graphic design work;
- Managing all external communications vendors; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Applications (cover letter and resume), including any supporting communications materials, can be sent to Prevention Link Executive Director Rob Halpin at email@example.com. Please include your name and “Prevention Link Communications & Outreach Specialist” in the subject line of your email.