June 21, 2018
On National Indigenous Peoples’ Day the Ontario Federation of Labour Aboriginal Circle launched resources for understanding to better enable unions and labour activists to integrate First Nations, Métis and Inuit perspectives into planning and programming. You can now access the following tools:
· An Indigenous Solidarity Guideline;
· Guidelines for Working with First Nations, Inuit and Métis Elders;
· A Tobacco Offering Protocol;
· Guidelines for Indigenous Smudge Ceremony; and
· Updated: Traditional Territory Acknowledgements in Ontario.
The OFL encourages affiliates to support the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada (TRC) recommendation 80, which calls for a statutory holiday for Truth and Reconciliation. Please sign the Petition to Proclaim June 21 as a Statutory Holiday in Ontario.
The OFL represents 54 unions and one million workers in Ontario. For information, visit www.OFL.ca and follow @OFLabour on Facebook and Twitter.